Children

Monday, October 18, 2010

Operation Night Wean

Success!

So, up until 3 weeks ago, Abby was starting to wake up to nurse about every hour to two hours, then getting up for the day at 5am. I was literally a basket case. I was a sucky, screaming, angry mom. I was logging her night wakes to implement the No Cry Sleep Solution, so I was really seeing how little sleep I was getting. It was also affecting her naps. She couldn't nap for 2 hours without waking to nurse. Then, finally, at midnight on Wed, Sept 29th, I. just. couldn't. take. it. anymore. Nursing her at night felt like nursing my dad (not that I have, but you get the picture). I went into our bed room and told Doug, I couldn't do it. He needed to go in there. He did. He sat with her while she pitched a tantrum on and off for TWO hours. He sat next to her crib, held her, rocked her, talked to her while she cried and screamed and played and then finally she fell asleep. I HATED it. Doug and I don't believe in CIO (Cry it Out), so he had no problem sitting with her. (I brought Jack into bed with me since they share a room). Then the next night, Thurs, I dream fed her before I went to bed and when she woke around 12am, Doug went in and did the same thing. Then, Friday night, I went to bed at 11:30pm and slept until 7am?!!?!?!!!? I slept 7.5 hrs for the first time since before she was born. Possibly since my 2nd trimester. I think I could have ran a marathon.

Since then, she has been sleeping through the night. I HATED it she was crying but since Doug was with her the whole time, according to Dr Sears, that isn't CIO (although, it sure felt like it was). I do wonder if Doug wasn't in there and we did do CIO, if she would have cried for more or less time? She didn't cry for a straight 2 hrs, she would ramp up and then down. The 2nd night I went in when I heard her really getting mad and just made it worse. Doug was not happy. I am still the only one to put her to sleep, but hey, at least I am getting 7 hrs at night. It is AMAZING the difference sleep makes. Seriously. It has almost been 2 weeks and she has only woken up one other time after the first 2 nights and Doug went to her and stayed until she fell asleep. Sometimes she will cry out and then fall back asleep. She is still nursing during the day and I added back her after nap nursing session (which she had dropped). I am just so happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment