Children

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Bittersweet

The last few nights I have been limiting the amount of time I will nurse Abby before bedtime.  She isn't falling asleep at the boob anymore, she falls asleep on her boppy in the crib.  I have been telling her "no more nurse" for a few weeks now to prepare her.  I then cut back to only 5 min on the right side and 15 min on her fav side (left) for 3 nights, then 5 min right & 10 min left for 3 nights and then I dropped the right altogether.  (It hurts like HELL to nurse right now, my nips are SO tender).  Then I did 3 nights of only 10 min and then dropped to 5 min, she actually stopped before the 5 min the last 3 nights and last night, I put her in the crib without nursing and SHE DIDN'T CRY!  I am still nursing her for 5 min before nap, but I can't believe she went down last night without a fuss.  Any other time I have tried it she would go berserk, so I guess she is ready.  I really don't have that much milk since I am pregnant, but she is such a creature of habit. 

Tonight is Furkids' annual party.  It starts at 7pm and I am planning on getting there ON TIME.    She will be two in less than a month and last night was the first time I didn't nurse before bed and tonight will be the first time I have been to someplace on time.  It makes me sad and happy at the same time.  Sad that our nursing is ending, but happy because I really do not want to tandem nurse and it literally KILLS when she latches and nurses for the first minute or two.  I took some picture of us nursing two nights ago with my phone.  I realized I didn't have many of us nursing. 

I never wanted to wean a child and was content with nursing her until 2, but since it is hurting so bad I figured it was time to nudge her to wean.  If she had went nuts, I wouldn't have pushed the issue, but it seems she is ready, as she only nursed 2-4 minutes the last few nights on her own.

I remember when Jack weaned.  He was 17 months and was only nursing before nap.  One day he just told me "no".  I was devastated.   I wasn't ready to be done.  Less than a week later I dream fed him during a nap so I could have my last time.  I cried the whole time.  It is such a big stage in life when your babe weans.  I do have the comfort of knowing I will be back at it again in about 5 months, so perhaps a little break will be nice.

No comments:

Post a Comment