Children

Friday, April 15, 2011

Adenoid Removal

After much deliberation and thought, we decided to have Abby's adenoids removed.  The big date was March 21, 2011 (yes, on my mom's and Grandmother's birthday, I needed an easy date to remember).  It was also the morning after we got back from Vermont AND we had to be at Scottish Rite Hospital at 6:30am AND I was still sick as a dog!  I mean REALLY?!??!  We got there on time and of course, had to wait.  Abby couldn't have anything to eat or drink past midnight, but could have breastmilk 6 hours before surgery.  Our surgery time was 9:30am, so I set my alarm to wake up at 3:30am to nurse her.  I dream-fed her so she wasn't starving when we got her up.  Actually, she might have already been up.  This was the time period when she was waking up every day, FOR THE DAY at 4:45am.  She is lucky we didn't sell her on the black market.

After waiting for over an hour at Scottish Rite, they finally called us back.  First I need to say, the staff is AWESOME there.  They really go out of their way to accommodate you and your child.  The plan was to give her versed and then wait until she got drowsy to bring her back to start the IV, etc.  It is amazing how fast that stuff works.  They gave it to her and within minutes she was spaced out.  She was pretty happy because Dora was on.  I mean what more could a girl want while all juiced up? 

Of course when they took her out of the room, I balled.  Doug, being the lovely man that he is, asked me why?  Um, they just took our daughter to operate on?!  I guess he just thought I was handling everything so well.  He really is a love as then he trekked to the cafeteria and brought us back some food.  He brought me hashbrowns which he knew would perk me up and it did.  We were hardly done eating when Dr Batkha came in and told us he was done.  That the surgery went well.  I was amazed.  It had seriously only been about 20 min. 

They brought Abby in a few minutes later so she could recover with us.  They immediately put her in my arms, I tell you again, the staff is awesome.   Of course, once she started to really wake up, Abby became her normal spitfire self and wasn't a happy camper.  She started pitching a fit if anything touched her legs, like cords or her gown or anything.  I tried nursing her at first, but she had no interest.  It wasn't until she was with me for a bit that she had a little interest in nursing.  She really loved the apple juice with ice, that wasn't watered down like I give her.  After a bit, she went from my arms to Doug's and then finally settled on the bed.  She was really angry about her IV and wanted it OUT.  She even tried to pull it out, so we had to get the nurse.  They wanted it in a little longer in case she needed something they wouldn't have to restick her.  At that point, 2 clowns walked in and started performing tricks and playing music.  Abby was not amused until one of them started doing a trick with his thumb.  He had a red light to make it look like the oxygen sensor she had and kept making it disappear and reappear.  That made her happy.  They stayed for about 20 minutes.  They were great.  Finally she could get her IV removed and we were cleared to go home. 

We were warned that she might throw up on the way home.  Well, it was mentioned, but not like it was a big deal or that it would happen.  Of course, on 285 about 20 minutes from the house, Abby projectile vomited all over the car.  Lovely.  They had given me a barf bag, but if I had known that it was probably giong to happen, not that it "might" happen, I would have sat in the back with her.  Ugh, what a mess.  We finally got home and she seemed to be doing great. My mom, Nana, was watching Jack, so she helped me clean up Abby.  I can't remember now if we put her in the tub or not since she was still so out of it.   Anyway, she got cleaned up and had a snack.  She ate like a champ and then went down for a nap like usual.  The resilience of children amazes me.  I am just so thankful to God that she did so well with the surgery.

As for a follow up.  Her night wakings have gone down.  Here lately, she has only gotten up once a night to nurse and then will sleep until 7:30am, which is a miracle.  She isn't snoring anymore or gasping for breath, so everything seems to be working.  Perhaps one day she will sleep through the night and until 7:30am.  A mama can dream, right?

Watching Dora, waiting for the versed to hit

And, there it is.

My poor drugged up baby girl

She wasn't a fan of the drug, right after this picture she had to lay down

No comments:

Post a Comment