Children

Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Proble results!

So, Wyatt was a super champ during the whole probe debacle.  He wasn't too happy about it going in, but was fairly good about keeping it in.  I really only needed to use the restraints (to keep him from pulling it out) when he was sleeping. 

First a little background.  I loved Wyatt’s GI doctor at his first appt when he was around 4 months old.  The result of that was to keep him on his Prevacid and see how he does verse doing a probe, scope, etc.  Then I had an appointment about a month ago and he was an ass.  I tried to explain to the doctor how what I ate seemed to really affect Wyatt, etc.  That Wyatt was my third child and it just baffles me trying to figure out what was going on.  Then he made some comment that it didn't seem like I was some "crazy first time mom", insinuating that I was a crazy mom.  Whatever, order my tests and leave me alone. 

So, we get the probe.  I had to push a button to log when Wyatt ate and slept and each time he had symptoms of reflux.  He had it in for 24 hours.  When the doctor called to go over the results he said I had a 99.7 % accuracy with association of symptoms and reflux!!!  He said "I hit a home run on the reflux".  Hell yeah I did.  I KNOW my baby.  He was seriously impressed.  I seriously was super proud of myself.  He even mentioned my accuracy to my pediatrician, Mark.  :)

So.  The results.  He has reflux.   ::)  More importantly, he could have eosinophilic esophagitis.  So, our options are to keep him on meds or scope and biopsy him.  I have mixed feelings on it.  He seemed to do really well off the meds with an occasional need for Mylanta.  If I keep to the straight and narrow regarding food, the reflux doesn’t seem to bother him.  But he does have silent reflux and occasionally reflux which causes crying, arching, etc.  If we scope him, we will know for sure if he has eosinophilic esophagitis which is kind of a big deal.  I am leaning towards it because I really do see a correlation between what I eat and his reflux. 

After he hit two weeks without medication, he had really bad nights from that point on.  Unfortunately, he also got an an ear infection so we were trying to see if he was up all night from the reflux or the ear infection.  I tried to manage his reflux with just restricting our diets, but he still was having issues.  We tried Zegerid, but he promptly threw it and all of his lunch up after a dose.  So we went back to the Prevacid.  Wyatt also has a issue with gagging and choking.  I told the GI doctor and if he still is doing it after being on Prevacid for 2-3 weeks he will probably scope him.  That is where we are now.  The Prevacid does not seem to be working anymore so I have a call into the GI doctor with the what next question.  He has been back on his Prevacid since Nov 17th and is still gagging and choking.  Today is the 27th.  Hopefully he will get better. 

On a side note, he had his one year check up today and he weighs 22lbs, 6oz.  He is a big boy coming in at 63% in weight.  His head is at 95% and his height is at 30 1/4" also putting him at 63%. 
At Scottish Rite before the probe placement

Back home with the arm restraints

His backpack to hold the transponder



Mama, what are these?



Playing with Liam

No comments:

Post a Comment