Children

Sunday, October 28, 2012

Potty training take 327

So, this past Tuesday I decided I was DONE with diapers for Abby.  She has been telling me that she would start using the potty when she was 5.  Um, no.  Um, HELL no.  So, I told her that I was sending her to school in underwear and that was it.  I took the changing pad out of her room and put all of her diapers in Wyatt's room.  I told her that he needed them.  I wasn't sure if I was setting her up for failure or if she would need therapy or if I would or all three.  Any rate, Wednesday she went to school in underwear. 

She came home dry!  But refused to use the potty.  Literally threw a tantrum for 45 min sitting on the potty.  She hadn't gone in 6 hrs!  I knew she had to go.  So, after 45 min of her trantrum, I told her to get up and go in her room and I was going to put her back on the potty in there.  Well, she promptly peed on the floor.  I went and got paper towels and told her to clean it up.  That I wasn't going to clean it up.  She didn't like that.  Kept bitching about getting wet.  So, she went to bed in undies and woke up dry.  I put her back on the potty.  She *finally* pooped after a 45 min tantrum.  She then peed on the deck a few hours later.  I had her clean it up again. 

Then on Thursday morning she peed at the gym (still not convinced she did) and then pitched a fit for 45 min bitching and moaning and screaming and then peed on the potty before nap.  I got a poop in the potty and a pee in the potty after her nap with only a 30 min tantrum!!!!!

Each day she has tantrumed less and less.  I just kept giving her the option of either peeing on the floor or on the potty.  Told her it was her choice.

Now, today, Sunday, she is going whenever I ask without screaming!  It is so wonderful.  She even told me she had to go when Jack did!  Her reward is 2 ice cream bites and a squinkie.  It is working.  She is obsessed with squinkies. 

I am so happy I had the determination to meet her stubbornness.   Other than the first two accidents, she has only had 2 others and that is when she was napping.  I will put her back in pullups for naps once I know she won't hold her pee until nap for a pullup.  Tricky little thing she is.

No comments:

Post a Comment